Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sometimes I Wish I Could Be the Dad

Hmmm... how do I dance around this one? Anonymous blog and all, I can't tell you too many details. Generality time! Half an hour or so after tucking Little One in bed, she appeared at her door crying. I walked in to help her and get her back in bed. What she said was indecipherable. What on earth did she want? No idea. Couldn't figure it out to save my life. So I listened. I tested a couple theories to no avail. Clearly, I did not know what I was doing. Just ask her. She'll tell you. Finally, I stumbled upon the answer. She wanted her lovey tucked in next to her - but in a very specific pose. I did it. She smiled. She offered a teary "thank you." Her world was right.

As I walked out of her room, I thought about a few nights ago. Her father, my Darling, had tucked her in that night. She wanted something he couldn't figure out. Instead of employing trial and error, he came out and asked me what she wanted. I interpreted for him and he went back and completed a successful tucking-in session.

Sometimes I wish I could be the Dad. Sometimes I wish I could just ask someone to help me figure out what the kids want and have the freedom to not figure it out on my own. I take that back. I love being the Mom. I love that my kids know that I'll keep working to understand (at least until I'm about to lose my mind, then Mommy needs some Quiet Time). Then again, sometimes it would be nice to not be the fount of all knowledge. Just sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails