Truth in publishing: I did not like this Smarter Blondie. My grown-up taste-tester did not like this Smarter Blondie, either. Our kids, however, fell on them like misers on gold.
Quotes from the kids: "This is the best thing I've ever eaten." "Mom, would you make these everyday?" "May I please have more?" "We're out of them? sniff, sniff"
Clearly there's no accounting for taste. But, if you're looking for a kid-approved, healthier, tasty baked snack for your kids, try this recipe:
A Smarter Blondie
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 25 min
What You Need:
1 Cup + 1 Tbsp flour
1/4 Cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, walnuts, flaked coconut or pecans (or throw them all in and experiment!)
What You Use:
microwave safe mixing bowl
9"x9" square pan
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray pan. Then cut a piece of parchment about 9" wide. Place the parchment in the pan with two "wings" hanging off the ends. Use your finger to crease the paper into the sides so the batter spreads evenly. (You're making a Blondie sling. When the Blondies are baked, you'll use the two pieces hanging off the end to lift the Blondies out of the pan for quicker cooling and easier cutting.)
3. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips in a small bowl. Set aside. (Mixing the chips in now prevents them from falling to the bottom of the pan during baking.)
4. Melt the half-stick of butter in the microwave safe mixing bowl.
5. Remove from microwave. Stir in brown sugar until sugar dissolves. Mix in applesauce.
6. Add vanilla. Then add the egg. Mix well.
7. Stir in flour mixture. Do not over mix! Stir just until combined, streaks of white are okay. If you stir too much, you'll have a tough Blondie. (hahahaha)
8. Pour (or glob) mix into prepared pan.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Top will look puffy and sides will look browned and start pulling away from the pan sides. Let sit for 10 minutes, then remove to plate or cutting board. Cut and enjoy!