What You Need:
1 Cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter
1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, walnuts, flaked coconut or pecans (or throw them all in and experiment!)
What You Use:
microwave safe mixing bowl
9"x9" square pan
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray pan. Then cut a piece of parchment about 9" wide. Place the parchment in the pan with two "wings" hanging off the ends. Use your finger to crease the paper into the sides so the batter spreads evenly. (You're making a Blondie sling. When the Blondies are baked, you'll use the two pieces hanging off the end to lift the Blondies out of the pan for quicker cooling and easier cutting.)
3. Combine flour, salt, and soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Melt the stick of butter in the microwave safe mixing bowl.
5. Remove from microwave. Stir in brown sugar until sugar dissolves.
6. Add vanilla. Then add the egg. Mix well.
7. Stir in flour mixture. Do not over mix! Stir just until combined, streaks of white are okay.
8. Add chocolate chips or nuts or coconut or whatever floats your fancy at this point. Stir them in just until they're everywhere. Do not over mix! Streaks of white are okay. If you stir too much, you'll have a tough Blondie. (hahahaha)
9. Pour (or glob) mix into prepared pan.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Top will look crinkly and sides will look browned and start pulling away from the pan sides. Let sit for 10 minutes, then remove to plate or cutting board. Cut and enjoy!
Additional thoughts: If you switch out the baking soda for baking powder, you'll have a cake-like texture and they won't be as gooey.