Thursday, April 15, 2010

Confession: I Love (Some) Reality TV

I know, I know.  It's trite.  It's the bottom of the barrel.  Reality television has damaged American's abilities to recognize or even appreciate good writing.  It's all (mostly) true.  Another truth?  I love some of it.

Here are the Top 3 on the DVR:

3.  Kirstie Alley's Big Life.  Love.  It.  I didn't love her character on Cheers, but I love watching her.  I love her story.  And Team Kirstie?  What's not to love? And I love that she's willing to bring cameras into her home and honestly, she's funny as hell.  http://www.aetv.com/kirstie-alleys-big-life/


2. Gene Simmon's Family Jewels.  Love.  It.  Believe it or not, I'm not a huge KISS fan.  Couldn't pick one of their songs in a line-up.  It's sad, really.  I don't recall how or why I started watching GSFJ, but it's a keeper!  What do I love about it?  I love Gene and Shannon's connection.  I love, love how he loves her.  And I love how she loves him.  They aren't married, but have a stronger, healthier bond than many married couples I know.  While Gene would tell you it's because they aren't married, I simply think it's because they have a deep, mutual respect and genuinely like each other.  It's an excellent show.  Love it.



1.  Project Runway.  Really, what's not to love?  It's so good I got Darling to watch with me!  And, I know you don't know him, but that's saying something.  Most viewers love Tim Gunn.  And I do love Tim.  (Did not enjoy his show, but I heart him on Project Runway.)  But who do I really tune in to watch?  Michael Kors!  He's brilliant and hysterically funny, while appropriately irreverent and says the most outrageous things.  Last season felt dishonest and wrong because the judges weren't consistently on the show.  They had different judges on each episode and it made for inconsistent evaluations of designers' work.  When Michael Kors and Nina Garcia were both on an episode, my heart sang.  When they were on separately with other judges, the judging felt flat.  Oh, and it's hosted by Heidi Klum.  If only I'd looked that lovely when pregnant.

~ G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails