Saturday, October 9, 2010

Whom Will You Serve?

I've mentioned a couple times that we're home churching.  Last week's lesson was concluded with the story of Joshua and the wall of Jericho.  The Scripture we wrote on our wipe board is Joshua 24:15.

It has been too long since I've dedicated myself to memorizing Scripture and since the fam and I are talking about the week's Scripture (even if only for a moment) every day, I felt compelled to learn it by heart.

Years ago, a friend gave me a little 3 1/2" x 5" spiral note card notebook and wrote on the cover "Bible Verse Book."  Her hope was I'd write my memory verses in it.  It sits on the raised bar above my sink so I can read it while doing dishes.

Let's face it, I spent a lot of time doing dishes.

So, I wrote in the book what is written on the wipe board:

"Choose... this day whom you will serve.  But for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

The part that has hit home this week for me... and I need you to understand how hard it is for me to admit this... is "whom you will serve."  For years, I thought that meant you either serve Satan or you serve God.  Well, duh.  That's a no brainer.  I serve the Lord.  Please.  I'm a God Girl.

But what if I'm serving food?  What if I'm not sold out to God and his provision, but to food?  I treat myself to good food.  I splurge on myself with food.  I'm not dramatically overweight.  Depending on the brand, I wear a 10-12.  I really have no desire to go lower.  I like me.  I like how I look.  I'm comfortable with how I look all nakey and stuff.  And, frankly, Darling has not complained.  But my go-to for relaxing, having a good time, rewarding myself, and socializing is food.  Food is always involved.

This week I've been thinking about what "we will serve the Lord" really means.  I have a feeling it will be a very long and thoughtful process.  There are lots of layers to me and when you throw in Darling, Big Kid, Middle One, and Little One, the layers increase exponentially.  I just know that when God lays a Scripture on my heart, there's a reason.  That word "serve" has hit a nerve for me and I need to find out why and how and where and, yeah.  Maybe it's time to make like Beth Moore and look up the original Greek word from the Scripture and learn what was originally intended?

Make no mistake, I'm still baking.  God gave me a gift.  I can bake.  I can cook.  But how do I use it?  Who am I serving?  How much of what I'm doing am I dedicating to God?

~ G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails