Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cheap Meat Chili



Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 45 min.


What You Need:
1 tbsp butter
3 roasted, seeded, chopped Hatch green chilis (or 1 -4 oz.can chopped green chilis)
1 Cup cooked black beans (spiced like these)
1 -10 oz. can Rotel
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. cumin powder
2 tsp. salt
several good grinds of pepper
1 -14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 -14.5 oz can tomato sauce
~1 lb cheap, cooked beef (like these leftovers)
grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese
sour cream


What You Use:
4 qt saucepan, with cover
wooden spoon



What You Do:
1. In a saucepan over med. high heat, melt butter.
2. Add chilis and beans.  Saute until you smell the chilis, then cook another minute.
3. Add diced tomatoes.  Stir well.
4. Stir in all spices. This makes HOT chili, reduce if necessary.  Let cook for a couple minutes.
5. Add tomato sauce and Rotel.
6. Cook until sauce is starting to bubble.
7. Stir in beef.
8. Cover, reduce heat to low, let simmer for 20-30 minutes.


Beans, chilis and butter.  Should smell go-ooood.  If it doesn't, chili may not be your thing.  Just sayin'




The tomato-based crew.


The spice team.


The chilis, beans, spices, and diced tomatoes.  Stir it up and simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.


The leftover meat from the Cheap Cuts Spicy Short Ribs.


Cheese and sour cream aren't just for purty decoration: They're to cool the whole mess down so your mouth doesn't explode.  Darling likes his chili hotter n' hot, so I make it that way.  I like mine with some heat, but need the cheese and sour cream to smooth it out.  If you're not a heat-loving family, reduce the chili powder and cumin to 1 Tbsp or even just 1 Tsp.  It's your chili.  You're the cook for you family.  Make it yours.  My recipe's just a guide for you.  As my Mom says, "an old recipe is like a good friend, you can take liberties with it."  I hope you treat my recipes like good friends.

~ G


1 comment:

  1. The Right Guy does it a little different. I chop up red and white onion, yellow, red and green peppers, usually 4 jalapenios, and garlic and use olive oil in a cast iron pot. I use sea salt as well with black and red pepper. Anyway, I add the chili powder and cumin to that to get the flavor infused. I then add whatever meat I am going to add (which can be almost anything from shrimp to iowa pork chops to chopped chuck to good jewish hot dogs or italian sausage or all of the above) and let that mix and cook a bit. I will then add the diced and crushed tomatoes. To an old italian like myself, jar tomato sauce is a sacrilege. After that gets happy, I add black beans which I have soaked in water for at least 6 hours. Simmer all that for at least 2 hours, 3-4 is better depending on the meat, then let rest. When I serve, I use either cheddar or a monterrey jack and fresh cilantro. It works for me. For the record, The Right Guy cooks with Blue Star.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails