Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tea Party Isn't Just a Meaningless Blip

Take a look at the latest data about the Tea Party:




What I derive from this isn't that the Tea Party is a viable third political party, which I hope it doesn't become as it will only split the conservative vote, but that the message of the Tea Party strongly resonates with voting Americans.  The idea that our federal government has run amok isn't relegated to crazy right-wingers, but is a mainstream idea gaining traction among the electorate.  Hopefully, this will influence how voters respond in November.

The data leaves me with questions, though. How many career politicians will co-opt the Tea Party message for their benefit and drop it as soon as they (re)secure their seats?  Is the only way to assure necessary change (how bastardized has that word become?) in Washington to boot out all incumbents?  Are all incumbents in need of retirement?

What are your thoughts?  

~G

1 comment:

  1. Hi:
    I like the Tea Party and the idea of the Tea Party, but what concerns me is that the GOP will eventually co-opt them as they did the socons in 2000, then to later drop them off at the corner after getting what they want. I do not have confidence in Michael Steele, AKA Mr. Potato Head, to do the right thing. The GOP is too invested in keeping power through many of the same means and results the dems use. That being said, I think the main line GOP is getting taught a lesson in these primaries along with the democrats: Anti-incumbent fervor cuts to both parties.

    Time will tell, and to be honest, I had hoped Tea Party would supplant the GOP as did the GOP with the Whigs. At this point I am not hopeful. Too many people in the Tea Party have too much respect for the GOP and may be identify too much. I also think Palin missed an opportunity to move them as a third party to supplant the GOP. Instead she decided to play the game.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails